Celebrities, much like the general population, possess diverse hobbies and interests. It is well-known that many famous individuals have a keen interest in gold and invest in the precious metal through bullion or coin collection.
From actors in the entertainment industry to musicians and singers, a significant number have amassed extensive collections of rare and valuable coins. These collections not only showcase the celebrities’ personal interests, but they also offer an insightful look into the historical and artistic significance of the coins. In this article, we will examine some of the most notable celebrity coin collectors and their intriguing collections.
- Nicolas Cage: Nicolas Cage is known not just for his illustrious acting career, but also for his love of collecting rare and valuable items, including coins. Cage is a fervent coin collector and has been known to bid substantial amounts on rare coins at auctions. His collection is estimated to be worth over $10 million and includes rare and historically significant coins, such as a 1913 Liberty Head nickel and a 1792 silver center cent. He has also been reported to possess a number of high-profile coins, including the 1933 Double Eagle, which was considered illegal to own until a court ruling in 2009.
- Jay Leno: The former late-night talk show host is widely recognized for his car collection, but he also has a passion for coins. Leno’s interest in coin collecting began in his childhood and has been actively collecting coins since the 1970s. He has a particular interest in coins from ancient Greece and Rome, as well as American coins from the 18th and 19th centuries. His collection also comprises rare and unusual coins, such as an 1804 silver dollar and a 1913 Liberty Head nickel. Leno’s coin collection is stored in a purpose-built room in his garage, and he spends time organizing and cataloging his coins. He has also been known to share his passion for coin collecting and has spoken about his collection in interviews and on television shows.
- Nicole Kidman: Although not typically known for her coin collecting, Nicole Kidman has a particular interest in ancient Greek and Roman coins. According to some sources, she began collecting coins after being gifted a rare coin by her husband, Keith Urban. Since then, she has reportedly built a collection worth several hundred thousand dollars, with a focus on coins from ancient Greece and Rome.
- Neil Armstrong: The astronaut and first man to walk on the moon was also a coin collector. He collected coins from around the world and had a special interest in ancient coins. Armstrong’s coin collection was diverse and included a wide range of coins from different countries and time periods. He was particularly interested in collecting coins from the countries he visited during his time as an astronaut and even carried a few coins with him on his historic Apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969. After Armstrong’s death in 2012, his coin collection was auctioned off by Heritage Auctions. The collection comprised over 2,000 coins and was estimated to be worth over $5 million.
- John Lennon: The late Beatles member was a coin collector and had a collection that included coins from around the world. He particularly enjoyed collecting rare coins and had a particular interest in Indian coins. He was known to spend hours studying his collection and would often show his coins to friends and fans who visited him at home. After Lennon’s death in 1980, his coin collection was sold at auction by Sotheby’s in London. The collection comprised over 600 coins and was estimated to be worth around $10,000.
The collections of these celebrity coin collectors are not only valuable but also serve as a testament to the beauty and history of the coins themselves. Their collections include rare and historically important coins. Whether they collect for investment purposes or for the sheer love of numismatics, the passion and dedication of these notable individuals have helped to preserve and promote the art of coin collecting for generations to come.