Add price alert

22 Karat vs. 24 Karat Gold Coins

Published by honor in category Precious Metal Information Guides on 11.01.2024
Gold price (XAU-GBP)
1,604.02 GBP/oz
  
+ GBP0.09
Silver price (XAG-GBP)
17.69 GBP/oz
  
- GBP0.08

When it comes to investing in gold coins, you’ll often encounter two popular options: 22 karat and 24 karat gold coins. Both have their own unique characteristics and advantages, and understanding the differences between them can help you make an informed decision.

In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the distinctions and considerations associated with these two types of gold coins.

Understanding Karat Purity in Gold Coins

To begin with, it’s essential to comprehend what karat purity signifies in the context of gold coins. Karat is a measure of the purity of gold, with 24 karat being the highest level of purity.

Pure gold is referred to as 24 karat, and it contains 99.9% gold in comparison to the amount of gold in 22 karat. As the karat value decreases, the gold becomes alloyed with other metals, making it more durable but slightly less pure form of gold.

The Allure of 24 Karat Gold Coins

Unmatched Purity and Shine

One of the primary attractions of 24 karat gold bullion coins is their unparalleled purity and shine. These coins are made of 99.9% pure gold, making them the closest you can get to owning pure gold. This high level of purity results in a bright and lustrous appearance that many investors find irresistible.

Ideal for Bullion and Collectors

Investors who prefer to own gold for its intrinsic value often opt for 24 karat gold coins.

These coins are considered ideal for bullion purposes as they contain no impurities or alloying metals that might affect their value

Additionally, collectors often favour 24 karat coins because of their rarity and pristine quality.

International Recognition

24 karat gold coins are recognised and valued worldwide, and especially in the United Kingdom. They are considered a standard in the global gold market, making them easy to buy, sell, and trade internationally. This universal recognition can be a significant advantage for investors looking to diversify their holdings.

Australian Kangaroo 1 oz gold coin reverse 2023 In Stock

1oz Australian Kangaroo Gold Coin 2023

We sell 1+ £1,684.73 1571.57 1571,57 1571.57 1571,57 1571.57 1571,57 1684.73 1684,73 1681.52 1681,52 1676.7 1676,70
We sell £1,676.70 1571.57 1571,57 1571.57 1571,57 1571.57 1571,57 1684.73 1684,73 1681.52 1681,52 1676.7 1676,70
We buy £1,571.57
Compare Alert Add to cart

The Appeal of 22 Karat Gold Coins

Durability and Strength

22 karat gold coins, on the other hand, are not as pure as 24 karat coins.

They contain 91.67% gold, with the remaining 8.33% consisting of other metals, such as copper or silver

This alloying makes them more durable and resistant to wear and tear, making them an excellent choice for jewellery and everyday use.

Unique Aesthetics

The presence of alloying metals in 22 karat gold coins can also give them a distinctive colour and appearance. Depending on the specific alloys used, these coins may have a slightly different hue compared to their 24 karat counterparts. Some collectors and jewellery enthusiasts appreciate these unique aesthetics.

2024
king charles iii sovereign obverse1 In Stock

Great Britain King Charles III Gold Sovereign

We sell 1+ £391.12 373.37 373,37 373.37 373,37 373.37 373,37 391.12 391,12 390.93 390,93 390.55 390,55
We sell £390.55 373.37 373,37 373.37 373,37 373.37 373,37 391.12 391,12 390.93 390,93 390.55 390,55
We buy £373.37
Compare Alert Add to cart

Potential Cost Savings

Due to their lower gold content, 22 karat gold coins are typically more affordable than their 24 karat counterparts. This can be an advantage for investors who want to acquire more gold for their budget or for those looking to buy gold for ornamental purposes.

Making the Right Choice for You

The choice between 22 karat and 24 karat gold products ultimately depends on your investment goals, preferences, and budget. If you value purity and international recognition, buying gold coins of 24 karat in value may be the ideal choice. On the other hand, if you prioritise durability, unique aesthetics, or cost savings, 22 karat coins might be more suitable.

Consider your objectives and carefully assess the pros and cons of each option before making your investment. Whichever you choose, both 22 karat and 24 karat gold coins have their own merits and can be valuable additions to your investment portfolio or collection.

Gold price (XAU-GBP)
1,604.02 GBP/oz
  
+ GBP0.09
Silver price (XAG-GBP)
17.69 GBP/oz
  
- GBP0.08

You might also like to read